Blues Treats is (L-R) Mohd Shahlan Dahalan (Bob) bass guitar; Mustaffa Ramli (Tapok) lead guitar; Arul Sarath Chandra Shekar Devadawson (Arul) drums and Mohd. Rfizan Amjad (Ali) vocals and rhythm guitar. Formed by Ali in 1999 as Slow Train the band has changed its line up many times. Ali and Bob are the only original members. The current incarnation has been together for three years now.
If you want radio friendly fluff then its best to look elsewhere. These guys play rock, blues, country and jazz, but with a rock/blues sensibility that hits you in the gut. Together this quartet has forged their own sound making a noise that is richer than what you would expect from a small group.
The mix of Bob's solid bass; Tapok's blistering guitar (he was a sessionist for RAP, playing with the likes of Sheila Majid, Zainal Abidin and Randy Crawford); Arul's (who used to be a Lost Soul) crisp and powerful drums; and Ali's nicotine laced, sandpaper growl, makes for a unique sound.
Covers are played with raw energy and verve which respects the original but with the Blues Treats stamp. And their original songs are rocking blues numbers with lyrics a million miles away from the insipid candy floss so often associated with Malaysian music.
by Prof Longhair
Blues Treats have played at the following venues:
- Music Festival 2000 at Factory Music
- Band Replacement for Headwind August 2003, Istana Hotel ;
- Merdeka Celebration 2003 with NRG, PJ Hilton
- Uncle Chilis Sunday Band September-December 2003 at PJ Hilton
- New Years Eve with Dato Shake, December 2003, Istana Hotel
- Formula One Team 2004 at Pan/ Pacific, KLIA with Ning Baizura
- D-Attap Restaurant since 1st Quarter 2004 - 2006
- Duke Tavern Pub, Duta Vista, March 2007
- Tribute To Dire Straits Gig, 3rd Nov-2007
- Formula One 2004 and 2005 Grand Stand Entertainment.
- KL Tower Sat and Sun 2004 for seven months.
In between the more regular gigs they have played many corporate and private functions. Too many to list here but clients include Bank Negara and the University of Malaya.
One thing is certain; no matter where they play and to whom they play, they play with heart. And blues.
Ali - Fender Telecaster, harps, pucks and 4 hole pucks.
Tapok - Fender Stratocaster USA 70s; Reflex active pickup.
Bob - Musicman bass guitar
Arul - Bigfoot Beaters and LA Series drumsticks.
Blues Treats was featured in The Edge Magazine, June 2005, issue 6. The scanned 3 page article can be seen here. Click the thumbnails to open a readable page.
. Please go to our music section...
by Prof Longhair