PC based recording:
Very poor [free] sound FX!!
Me and my mate SidStrummerUK used to play a lot of Priest, Saxon and Quo for fun but now we're grown up [and when we get the chance] we do it for real fun!
Seriously, we record stuff in Cakewalk Guitar Tracks on the PC.
Van Halen [I wish!]
Stiff Little Fingers
1. Hand made through-neck [Strat-type] guitar with humbuckers/whammy bar into:
Amp - Peavey Stereo Chorus 212
Pedal - Korg A4
Modelling for PC - Line6 Pod2 & Line6 TonePort UX2
2. Japanese Fender P Bass into:
200W Maine Bass Amp/Speaker
Modelling for PC - Line6 TonePort UX2
3. PC based:
- Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2
- Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 2
- Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 3
- Steinberg Cubasis VST v.5 [rarely]
- Sony Soundforge 8
- SmartLoops Dry Studio Kit
- Fruity Loops Drum/Sequencer/Loops program